Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

[the box]


i keep walking past my perfectly ripe bananas time and time again as they sit inadequately on my kitchen counter. their yellowness cannot be missed and i know they're just aching for
a good old fashioned mash whoopin'.
lol!


it's high time i make some banana bread. i can't remember the last time i made it and it just sounds so fitting on this wet, dark, chilly day. mmmm, warm, moist, fluffy sweet bread.
as i began looking for my grandmother's famous recipe, i remembered this mess!



blog,April 2010

my handy dandy beat up recipe box.

just to stroll down memory lane for a moment, i bought this box a few months before i wed.

i was so excited to have my own box in my own kitchen with all my favorite documented methods. after copying many of my mom's cards and even some i saved from home ec, i decided to laminate all of them to ensure their integrity.

well, that never happened again! once "real life" set in (lol) this box has been shoved tightly with clippings, notes, print outs and chicken scratchings.

i cannot find my recipe.

it's about time i re-vamp, consolidate and organize my box. or should i start a binder? or, should i digitize & put them all on my computer? what is the best way?
i would love to know how you do it!
this will be a big job and i'd love to do it efficiently. i love recipes and have them coming out my ears! help!

are recipe boxes known to say a lot about a person?
if so, i'm in big trouble!


p.s. tomorrow is earth day!
maybe i should plant a tree or something :)
go here for awesome earth day fun on my favorite new found blog


signature



7 comments:

  1. I have been having this debate in my head for the last year or so. I was planning on doing a big binder, and even using different colors for good food storage recipes. I have to say, though, that I have loved using the recipes from the Castlewood Cooks blog I keep up. I would have to do something searchable to make it effective on the computer. I'll be interested to hear what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the binder for a while but went back to the box. I made myself some 4x6 cards and laminated them. This way I can wipe them off as I am quite messy. I have an area where I keep printed off recipes that I am going to try and if they are up to scratch, then they graduate to the box.
    The "green" in me would love to use my laptop but I am too messy and generally my hands are gross and I can't be scrolling up and down between ingredients and directions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amelia, that is SO weird. I just bought a new recipe box..(bigger, better, cleaner) and sat down just MONDAY night and revamped, rewrote and reorganized all my recipes into a new one. Wow, are we sisters or what? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds to be me like your desire to do something new with your recipes could be considered a good Earth Day thing. Especially if you go digital with it all! I also hope that a recipe box doesn't say much about a person, cause I am in the same boat as you!

    I started out with a recipe box...and have changed to binders. I have 3 cute/funky 3 ring binders that I keep on my shelf. Binder one has my recipes for that week's meals, the following weeks meal ideas, and all of my main dishes. Binder two has sides, salads, and soups. Binder three has breads, cookies, snacks, desserts, sauces, any extras. It seems to work for me...thus far. I have all of our family faves typed up to make it uniform, and put in page protectors for easy clean up. I also have recipes I want to try and once I have made it and we love it, I type it up and save it on my comp.

    To help with my going digital I have a recipe blog with my friend {which I NEED to update in a major way}. I will eventually print a book out through blurb.com of my recipes. That is where I am today with my recipes. Oh, and I was going to tell you that I have even copied the recipes {with the picture} you have put on your blog and printed them out...to become part of my collection!!!

    I came across a couple of websites recently where you can keep your recipes too...if you are interested, let me know and I will send them along to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The big question! I have tried for years to get all of mine in my computer. The only problem with that is that unless your computer is in your kitchen, you need to print off the recipe anyways so you are not walking back and forth from the kitchen to the office after adding each ingredient. So, you print them off and then suddenly in the recipe cupboard you have 100 loose sheets of printed recipes (a lot of them repeats) scattered across the top of your cookbook shelf....
    I should have just printed them all off once and put them in a binder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wouldn't it be amazing if you had a sweet huge monitor/computer in the kitchen that was voice activated? you'd say, "find grandma's banana bread recipe" and it would display it large enough to see it so you wouldn't have to touch it and then, it would also walk you through the recipe like a nav. (if you wish)

    thank you so much for sharing your thoughts & ideas with me! i will definitely use your advice :)

    meg- you really print out my recipes & pics? i'm so flattered! yay! i'm so glad you like them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. UM, YEAH!!! I totally do. I love the way they look...maybe I should take a pic of one printed out so you can print them out for yourself and bind them up! It always helps to have some dinnertime inspiration from other TRUSTED sources! {So with that being said, keep them comin'!}

    ReplyDelete